Sunday, February 6, 2022

The Day The Song Won't End

I have the annoying love of playing a song I like over and over and over.  I can remember rewinding the tape back in the 80's to listen to the song just one more time.  One road trip of doing this, I almost brought my sisters to the brink of mutiny over the control of the tape deck (haven't used that term in a while).  To this day they will claim it was the closest they have ever come to being brainwashed.

But I have pressed on over the decades fully embracing my annoying love.  I stopped years ago trying to analyze why I don't get bored with the song or even end up hating it.  I just simply don't, of course, much to the dismay of those closest to me that have a more normal song-listening practice.

However, I can offer one simple explanation for my madness:  I get happy when the song begins, and I get sad when the song ends.  Pretty deep, huh?  I'm sure smarter people could give a more academic or even neurological reason for my love of repetition, but I'm content with my simple explanation.

And leaning into it a little more, I believe that my chronic wonder with how my soul is being fully prepared for Eternity might offer some insight as well.  Perhaps my annoying love is actually a small taste of that which is to come:  The day the song won't end. The day that the words penned by John as he was caught up in the Spirit will no longer be words for me to read but a reality for me to experience.  The day where I will be with the angels and every tribe, tongue and nation singing together:  Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise (Revelation 5).  In that Day, my annoying love will no longer be annoying.  It will be the norm.

So in the meantime, give some grace to those who love playing the same song over and over again, and maybe give it a try yourself.  Who knows?  Maybe your soul, if you listen close enough, will whisper of the coming Day of Glory, the Day of Heavenly bliss, the Day the Song Won't End.

Ex nihilo,


R.J. Rhoden

No comments:

Post a Comment