Thursday, January 25, 2024

Know Him

We need to pay close attention to the prayers of the Apostle Paul for the churches he instructed through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.  

In the first half of his prayer for Ephesus (1:16-17) we learn of a spirit of wisdom and revelation that is essential for cultivating first-hand knowledge of God.  As this spirit is given, emerging in us as we lean into the heart of our Father, the harmony of wisdom and revelation begins to sing within us.  The beauty of these two practices, never to be separated but always intertwined with purpose, provides us with the process we need to grow spiritually.

Wisdom (a sophisticated clarity) and revelation (an unveiling that you suddenly see or understand) are the two-fold dimensions of this spirit that are available to us in Christ.  Their purpose is so we might come into greater knowledge of the Father. Period.

Probably like you, I struggle with this being enough.  I struggle with drawing near to our heavenly Father to simply know Him.  I routinely attempt to leverage these moments for my personal benefit as if, ridiculously, I'm buttering Him up for my asks. God forgive me.

I wonder what would emerge if our spiritual lives functioned continually with a spirit of wisdom and revelation to know him? I suspect that the longings of our heart would be taken care of at the appointed time; that our concerns would become covered in His peace; that our fears would become enveloped by His Presence; and that we would be able to enter His rest in all of it.

Let's know Him.


Ex nihilo,


R.J. Rhoden

No comments:

Post a Comment