Friday, May 7, 2021

Barn Story One: Pray In The Barn

I don't remember the day, but I know it was during the month of October 2020.  As I drove by the familiar site of the barn viewable from Rt 250 in Goochland, VA, I sensed-heard-felt-knew something: Pray in the barn...the divine message was as simple as that.

But like many initial responses to the tugging of the Holy Spirit, I ignored it - attributing it to crazy-thinking.

Weeks later it happened again, and weeks later I ignored it again.  But this time the message didn't go away.  It lingered in my soul daily.  I couldn't shake it so I finally submitted and obeyed.

God does not shy away from wrestling with us especially when it involves His Lordship in our lives.  Jacob learned that as well one night long ago.  I learned it in late fall 2020.  I'm grateful that He is faithful even in the wrestling - even in the struggle.

Me:  Good morning! Uh, I was wondering if I could pray in your barn?  I know that sounds weird.

Owner:  Sure.  When you do want to come over?

I was prepared for dirt, hay, and the smell of animals supposing this was the sacrificial lesson my Father intended.  Instead, I walked into restoration, windows, and HVAC.  Apparently the barn had been renovated years ago.  Tucked away on an old farm, it presented like a little chapel with light beaming through its unstained glass windows.  I was stunned.  

Our Father teaches us through the ugly and the beautiful.  We, of course, prefer beauty over ugly (nothing wrong with that), but both are powerful backdrops to achieving His purposes in and through us. I was stunned that day to find that the barn was beautiful.  And I was grateful. 

Good theology teaches us that God is present everywhere at the same time (omnipresent).  While I have believed that all my life, I must confess that "barns" where not high up on my list of spiritual spaces.  But now I find myself in a barn.  And God is powerfully present - not only that first day but all the days since. 

I don't know the answers to any of the "why-the-barn" questions.  In fact, I am trying my best not to waste any effort or thought on them. Instead, myself and others (and whoever else wants to join us) are praying in the barn every Wednesday night at 6:30pm.  And oh my... how God shows up in a special, transforming way.  We are praying big prayers to our big God in a little barn.

I can't wait to see all that God has purposed for this humble space. And I'm honored to brag about the God who uses country drives and other seemingly mindless adventures to download fresh revelation into our hearts.


Ex nihilo,


R.J. Rhoden

Email, text, or call me if you want to Pray In The Barn with us:

Email:  rrhoden@ascent.edu

Mobile:  804.239.0032













No comments:

Post a Comment