Friday, January 1, 2016

Home After 19 Days

On this first day of 2016 I am compelled to give thanks to God, the prayers of many friends, the support of family, and the wisdom of the medical community for delivering me from the greatest physical trial I have ever endured.  To say that my perspective on life has been recalibrated is to understate it.  It feels like a rebirth and renewal has taken place within me that can only emerge through the crucible of trial.

On December 9th, a seemingly normal day, severe abdominal pain suddenly set in sending me straight to the emergency room.  We were soon told that acute pancreatitis along with some pneumonia in the left lung area were the culprits. I didn't know it at the time but the battle to stabilize and heal my body would be a long, grueling, 19-day struggle that included two stays in the ICU and three different hospital rooms.

The struggle for control of your thoughts and fears in life-threatening circumstances might be the most difficult aspect of such a moment. I desperately clung to my foundational beliefs in God, His Word, His Promises and the prayers of God's people. But to say that I unwavered in those truths at all times is at best a misrepresentation and at worst, an outright lie.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I floated between victorious moments pregnant with faith and lonely stretches gripped with fear.  I cried.  I cried out to God.  I sang songs of hope.  I listened.  My hand was often held.  Then a little fear creeped in again.  The fear left.  Hope abounded. The cycle was exhausting.

My faith, hope, and love in the God who pours out His grace and mercy abundantly has a new, quiet strength.  The reason, which is critical to understand, is NOT because I received the positive outcome I desired.  Don't misunderstand me, I am exceedingly grateful for God's touch on my life and am giving all glory and honor due His name. But my soul is primarily overflowing with life because God always comes near.  God sings songs over us in the good and difficult times, in belief and doubt, in wandering and anchored hearts, and in ordinary times. God is the same yesterday, today, and forevermore.  There is no circumstance, pain, or personal accolade that is void of His presence.

I'm not sure how you are starting off 2016 but am sure of this:  God's ways are higher than ours.  He renews our strength.  He rescues.  He teaches through the trials of life. And just as He did 2,000 years ago in Jesus, He comes near to be with us.  He enters this side of eternity to ultimately take us one day to His side of eternity.  In the meantime, He grants us new days and seasons to advance His work on earth - an opportunity I am relishing in this first day of 2016.

Ex nihilo,

R.J. Rhoden


14 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Glad to hear you are doing better

    Da Browns

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your illness. I'm so glad the doctors were able to heal you, but I know it must have been a scary time. 19 days in the hospital is a LONG time!

    Best wishes for a great new year!!
    Melinda (Pittman) Holmes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastor Rob, You are by far one of my favorite people!! Thank you for sharing your heart. This will indeed encourage someone else going through a hard time. So thankful you are better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pastor Rob, You are by far one of my favorite people!! Thank you for sharing your heart. This will indeed encourage someone else going through a hard time. So thankful you are better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you and your family, Pastor Rob...Thank you for sharing your trial and faith walk with God. I am so happy that you are feeling better and hope 2016 will be a blessed and prosperous year for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing and your transparency. We love you and your precious family so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were all thinking about you and praying for your during the Christmas season, Rob. So glad to hear you're doing better and we look forward to seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to hear of your recovery. Thank you for sharing some of what you went through. Love y'all and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to hear of your recovery. Thank you for sharing some of what you went through. Love y'all and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rob,

    I enjoyed reading your perspective on your experience. So glad to hear you are doing better. Many blessing to you as you continue to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rob,
    I so appreciate your brute honesty and transparency- prayed for you and will continue to. Will keep you and your family In prayer. Your attitude and spirit in the face of such adversity is a great example to all!!
    Larry O'Brien

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rob,
    Thank God for you. I have had the Fellowship of Christian Athletes family praying for you. You are a blessing to many!
    Love in Christ,
    Kerry O'Neill
    koneill@fca.org

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praise God. I am glad to hear the work of God. I struggle with ALS daily but I always have His light shine on me. Gary Tingwald (Deanna Higgins father)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Appreciate all the encouraging comments and prayers! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete