Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Snow Story

Several years ago, we awoke in the morning to find a beautiful blanket of the white stuff everywhere. Like this morning.  At that time, our home did not have a garage so I decided to start the day by cleaning off our two cars.  I got bundled up and grabbed a broom and scraper.  Just as I was heading out the door, I felt a tug on my coat.  I turned and found my son, Miles, standing there.  He asked, "Dad, what are you doing?"

"Going out to clean off the cars," I replied.

"Can I help?" he asked.  "Sure," I answered.  So I got him dressed warmly and the two of us headed out. 

We decided to tackle our Honda Pilot first since we would most likely be using it to get around in the snow.  As I started on the front windshield, Miles stood back watching me.  Eventually he asked, "Dad, how can I help?  I can't reach that high."

My initial thought was to send him back inside.  Given his insufficient abilities, he might be more in the way than helpful.  But then I got an idea.  I walked him around to the front and back of the car showing him the bumpers.  I said to him, "Miles, you see this area?  Do you think you can help me by getting these really clean?" "Absolutely," he said.  And he dived into it with all his little might.

As the two of us proceeded to clean the car together, I had one of those moments with God.  It went like this:

     God:  "Do you see now?"
     Me:  "See what?"

     God:  "How you and I work together?"
     Me:  "What?"

     God:  "I could do it all myself.  I certainly do not need your help.  And your insufficient abilities are obvious.  But I like being with you just as you like being with Miles.  So I let you clean the bumpers while I tend to the rest."
     Me:  "Hmmm."

I was inspired by two things that day.  First, God Calls us to do nothing where He is not tending to the big stuff.  While we do have a role, the success and completion of our work is not as contingent on our contribution as we think.  This is not an excuse to be lazy;  we are to be diligent in all our efforts.  But it is a comforting depiction of the God that covenants to be on our side.  God does not operate unilaterally rendering us to be mere spectators of His handy work.  Though that is His prerogative if He chooses. But God operates His purposes as a means for us to be with Him, in His presence, where there is great delight.  And outcomes are simply determined by His care and timing.

And secondly, I was reminded to stop taking myself so seriously.  I'm just cleaning the bumpers - not exactly the most important responsibility.  Humanism and enlightenment have conned us into believing in ourselves too much.  We are proud of human achievement and not afraid to talk about it.  And this mindset has crept into the Church.  I wonder if God sighs every time he hears another church brag of their latest accomplishment as though they were responsible for it?  Have we forgotten that our best acts are compared to "filthy rags"by the prophet Isaiah (Isaiah 64:6)? Imagine if we took God as seriously as we do ourselves.

Miles and I finished cleaning both cars that day.  We worked hard.  But most importantly we were together.  And when we got inside, he announced to the family, "We finished cleaning the cars!"  And we had the cleanest bumpers on the block.

Ex nihilo,

R.J. Rhoden                         


     

No comments:

Post a Comment